Thursday, October 08, 2009

Place your bets on the Chase

I've been playing around with numbers and wanted to see if there was a way to predict the likelihood of each NASCAR drivers' chances of winning the championship. I came up with a formula using the average numbers of points each driver received at all previous races this season. The one thing it leaves out is their predicted results at the final seven races. I mention this because, while I currently have Stewart as the favorite, the next race is at Fontana, and Johnson has an amazing record there. So I kind of expect that after that race, Johnson with be the favorite.

Chances of winning:
Stewart - 15%
Johnson - 14%
Martin - 12%
Gordon - 11%
Montoya - 9%
Hamlin - 9%
Busch - 8%
Biffle - 6%
Edwards - 5%
Newman - 5%
Kahne - 4%
Vickers - 2%

No comments: